Username:    Password:
     Log me on automatically each visit    

Yule Ball - With a Suspicious Eye [open]
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.   printer-friendly view    Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry Forum Index -> Great Hall -> Balls and Dances
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Severus Snape
Teacher

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2006 8:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Yes, such a horrible fate. I blame Albus." He smiled coquettishly around the finger in his mouth for just a flicker of a moment before inspecting his fingernails for any further traces of chocolate and returning to his usual scowl. "Luckily for me -- or perhaps unluckily in this instance, I like chocolate."

He scraped a bit off the edge of one nail.
"Of course, in a novel, people's hearts break, and they die, and that is the end of it; and in a story this is very convenient. But in real life we do not die when all that makes life bright dies to us." -- H.B. Stowe, Uncle Tom's Cabin
Mitzi Tish
3rd year

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2006 8:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Merry glittering to hazel eyes, a birdlike tilt to her head as she watched the final demise of the cookie. As if anywhere else, she may have offered to lend a hand.

"Oh. I always liked chocolate. I'll have to get you some of the... Well, they're chocolate horses," thoughtful really, but impish enough to suggest she wasn't saying the whole tale. But really, what had he to fear, he'd survived her tequila already.

And cast the ashes back in their eyes.
Nymphadora Tonks
Adult

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2006 9:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

She looked over at Professor Snape with a rather cool expression. "I'm afraid I can't do justice to my regards, specifically, in front of the students. I'm sure you can imagine what sorts of regards those would be. I'll leave it to your discretion whether you want to add that effect to your holiday," she said, in a rather snide tone of voice.

She reached out to grab a cookie, like the others had done, hers one that had simple frosting on it. She quickly took a bite of it, forestalling any of the other comments that she was debating making.
Severus Snape
Teacher

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2006 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

He smiled wryly. "I am a potions master, madame. I drink poison for a living. Tell me of these 'chocolate horses'." He cast a suspicious eye on her as he drew quotes in the air with his fingers.

He meant, of course, to imply that there were very few things she could tell him that would be all that significantly off-putting.

His eyes glinted as he looked to Tonks. "Indeed. I can, in fact, imagine. Frankly, I despise the holidays enough without the added trauma, but I shall do my best to convey your wishes."
"Of course, in a novel, people's hearts break, and they die, and that is the end of it; and in a story this is very convenient. But in real life we do not die when all that makes life bright dies to us." -- H.B. Stowe, Uncle Tom's Cabin
Mitzi Tish
3rd year

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2006 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Widened eyes, her hand splayed over her upper chest, but it was all feigned horror, clear enough from the smile trying to show itself.

"Oh, my. Then you might be able to survive my cooking," somber, almost, but for the underlay of laughter to her voice, "Dalas, horses, with brandy. But, I catch enough rattlesnakes back home, I could bring you a bit of that."

In illustration, yes, she raised up her left arm, pointing at a pair of milk-white scars like stars on her inner wrist.

"I can't show you where the other one got me, though," she assured him with a sudden churring of laughter.

Naomi C. Hamilton
4th year

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2006 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was interesting and puzzling to hear the professors talk. As they spoke, she stood silent, analyzing each of their responses, attempting to make out the reasons for each individual's comments and style of speaking.

But alas, balls are supposed to be for socializing, and Naomi had not done so much of it. She waved to the professors politely, shot them a sweet smile, took another cup of punch, and made her way into the main dance floor.

[leaves area]

"O, if you raise this house against house, / It will the woefullest division prove / That ever fell upon this curs'd earth!" - Carlisle, Shakespeare's Richard II
Severus Snape
Teacher

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2006 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A cutting half-smile twisted his cheek for a brief moment. "I should greatly prefer the brandied chocolates, Madame, although rattlesnake venom is sorely tempting at times."

He observed the scars on her arm with naught more than a raised eyebrow. "Some inner sense tells me I would prefer to remain unaware of where the other one got you."

He poured himself a cup of punch and surreptitiously tipped his flask into it, before again concealing the pewter vessel in his robes.
Mitzi Tish
3rd year

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2006 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Above the back of my knee," explained with a kittenish wrinkling of nose, seeming actually faintly ired to have been hit from behind. Not really indecent, but she knew better than to hike up her skirts there!

"I'll bring you some, then. I mean, the brandied dalas," decidely added, was she watching that surreptitious pour? Who knew, she hadn't taken any punch for herself, as yet, and her mind seemed cheerfully off on yet another tangent.

"Does it tempt? It hurts, a lot. It's a necrotic, you know, it kills the flesh as it goes. It feels, I think, like how it is, when you're between life and death," thoughtful, very, her voice gone pensive, a faint knit of brow as her gaze slid aside. Oh, what would she know of such things?

I remember...

But the words were only mouthed, and curiousity re-ignited as she raised her smile and eyes once more.

Severus Snape
Teacher

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2006 11:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He rubbed idly at his left forearm. "It is all the more tempting in that, unlike other pains of its genre, that one will cease with a sudden painlessness in the end."

He nodded and held up the cup as if in a toast before taking a large swallow.

"But, yes, dalas sound like an excellent concoction. I should consider acquiring some for the people I'm spending the holiday with; do you think Honeydukes would carry them, or should I expect to have to order them by owl post?" He looked speculative. Roddy would love something like that. Chocolate and brandy... he'd eat himself sick inside half an hour. I hope that Cissa's elves can clean carpets well...
Mitzi Tish
3rd year

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2006 12:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oddly, perhaps, she only shone a smile to the words of a painless end. No shadows there, no, only a strange understanding, if it could be called so.

After all, it was always a good day to die.

"Sometimes, they say that," warming tones, promptly followed by a tilting of head, another swift frown.

"Honeydukes? I don't know. Maybe? They're from the Netherlands, I think, but I know a shop in the States that has them."

For really, she hadn't ventured yet from the school. Cautious she was in some ways, and being lost in a wintery scape was a bitter thing.

Mitzi Tish
3rd year

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2006 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And, so, as the evening spun on, she watched. Sparkle of hazel eyes and that of her smile, yes, the dancing, talking, interactions, she watched.

As the night grew old, the music fading, even the lights dimming with the balls' ending, still she watched, well, to see the students out of the hall, of course.

It wasn't much like the Yule parties she knew, it was a gorgeous thing for her to see, country girl peeking in at the city cousins' party, perhaps. Still, it was a party for the season.

As they left, she ventured out to the floor. Dancing steps and spread arms, the last of the binding of her hair gave way as she lifted her face upwards.

There was a jewelry box so many girls once had, a tiny ballerina in a scrap of shabby sateen, and it would dance to some tinny melody over and over...

Christmas, though, and so she gave the night a carol. Joyous voice, sure and bright, sparkling altos to match the shine of her smile.

"If I cannot bring you comfort,
Then at least I bring you home,
For nothing is more precious
Than the time we haven't sold

We all must learn from small misfortunes
Count the blessings that are real
Let the bells ring out for Christmas
At the closing of the year

Let the bells ring out for Christmas
at the closing of the year

If I cannot bring you comfort,
Then at least I bring you home

At the closing of the year."

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.   printer-friendly view    Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry Forum Index -> Great Hall -> Balls and Dances All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5

Jump to: